Bring your kitchen cabinets from drab to fab! You don’t need a full kitchen remodel to update one of your most lived-in spaces to give it the style of your dreams. If your appliances are already new and to your liking, then the next area to upgrade that can make a world of difference is your kitchen cabinets. Before you rip out those puppies because you can’t stand looking at them anymore and undergo a top-to-bottom cabinet makeover, consider each or a mixture of these five options below, which can save you major dollars…to put toward your next project: the bathroom remodel!
1. Hot Hardware. So your cabinets have hardware that look like they are from the castle at Medieval Times. (Hey, we dig castles, of course, but it doesn’t mean we have to live in the Dark Ages.) It’s absolutely amazing what replacing hardware will do for the look of your cabinets. Choose a style and color that fits well with the style of your home and kitchen (we can help you with the selection!).
2. Pretty in Paint. Ah, one of our favorite things — a fresh coat of paint! If your cabinets are looking dirty, have chipped paint or are just a hideous shade that you have got to change ASAP, then start thinking about the paint color you want them to be. Keep in mind that light colors always make your kitchen (or any space) look bigger, so if you have a smaller kitchen, this might be the way to go. If you’re lucky to have an incredibly spacious kitchen and love a dark shade, then go for it. Do note that if painting your cabinets is the route you’d like to take, then cabinets first need to be meticulously cleaned and come off their hinges to be sanded and laid flat for painting. This would also be a good time to update that hardware!
3. A Glass Act. Glass panels are a great way to modernize the look of your cabinets. We love this mix-and-matched style of updating some kitchen cabinets with glass panels and the rest with regular doors. Just make sure that glass cabinet doors are in sections of your kitchen that contain items that look neat and clean, like pretty glassware or china; otherwise, it could make your kitchen look messy and that’s the last thing you want after fixing it up!
4. Box It In. We will never understand why some kitchen remodelers leave that open space between the ceiling and the top of the cabinets. All it does is collect dust! Instantly upgrade the look and you can even add space to your cabinets themselves by boxing in the open space above them. This creates clean lines in your kitchen — and something else you don’t have to worry about dusting above!
5. Open Door Policy. Sometimes your cabinet doors are just too far gone to fix them, or they really showcase a style that is 100-percent not in line with your tastes. That still doesn’t mean you have to install all brand-new cabinetry, however. Work with what you’ve got and just replace the doors (oh, and that darn hardware again) for beautiful, new kitchen cabinets.
Have a question about updating your kitchen cabinets? Please do let us know here in the comments section, or give us a call. We’d love to answer it for you.